your chihuahua’s teeth should be brushed everyday. it will help to keep your chihuahua’s teeth and gums clean, healthy and free of periodontal gum disease.
start brushing your chihuahua’s teeth early, so it becomes routine they willingly become accustomed to. early brushing will also prevent the likelihood of other chihuahua health problems.
(photo: minnie pearl by lauren quinn)
what should you use to brush your chihuahua’s teeth?
use a child’s soft-bristle toothbrush, a finger toothbrush, gauze around a finger or a cotton swab.
what toothpaste should i use to brush my chihuahua’s teeth?
pet toothpaste works best. you can get it in a number of dog-friendly varieties flavored like poultry or with enzymes that enhance the results. avoid using human toothpaste or baking soda as these can be harmful if swallowed.
keep the following cleaning tips in mind:
- introduce the toothpaste with a small sample on your finger first
- expose the outside surfaces of their gums and teeth by lifting their lips
- use gentle motions while brushing their teeth and gums
- brush the outside (cheek-facing) surfaces (many chihuahuas will resist brushing the inside)
- reach the back upper molars and canines (these teeth quickly build up tartar)
- reward them with petting, play or something positive to reinforce teeth brushing
how often should i have my chihuahua’s teeth professionally examined?
take your chihuahua in to the vet at least once every six months to evaluate their oral health examined and evaluated.
neglecting to brush your chihuahua’s teeth daily or bring them in for oral check ups will lead to very expensive vet bills and periodontal (gum) disease in your chihuahua.
article resource: banfield.comfollow famous chihuahua®