Chihuahuas are high-maintenance pets that need proper care to stay healthy and happy. Here are some basic care steps of chihuahua dogs that you need to know.
patterned dog harnesses!click here!
CLEARANCE SALE ON DOG COATS! 50% OFF!click here!
dog collar charms!click here!
bruiser's wardrobe from legally blonde the movie!click here!
shop for affordable chihuahua clothes and accessories!click here!
pet carriers! travel with your chihuahua in style!click here!
adorable dog dresses!click here!
chloe's beverly hills chihuahua the movie dress set!click here!
dog booties and socks!click here!
designer dog collars and leads!click here!
travel in style with these affordable dog carriers!click here!
make your chihuahua famous!click here to submit your chihuahua picture!
What is a blue chihuahua? How do blue chihuahuas differ from other chihuahuas?
what exactly is a blue chihuahua and what makes a blue chihuahua puppy different from other chihuahua puppies? all chihuahuas are special and unique in their own way, but blue chihuahuas are best described as a chihuahua puppy that is bred to have a dull silver-grey-coat with a tinge of blue.
a blue chihuahua is rare and can be an apple head chihuahua or a deerhead chihuahua and is produced from mating a black and tan chihuahua, a chocolate, or even a fawn parent, but the parents must carry the recessive blue gene in their line of heritage. the blue in a blue chihuahua can also be part of a merle patterned – tri-colored or multicolored coat.
the chihuahua club of america warns that coat color in chihuahuas is often linked to genes with undesirable traits or birth defects. the merle pattern and blue coat color can often come with common health problems. this is another reason that blue chihuahuas are rare.
like teacup chihuahuas, much controversy exists around the subject of breeding blue chihuahuas by blue chihuahua breeders as hidden defects on the gene that is linked to the blue color can result in serious coat problems and other health issues. for these reasons, it is advised to never breed a blue chihuahua with another blue chihuahua.
10 Interesting Facts That Make The Chihuahua Breed So Popular!
This educational video is an analysis of the origin of the chihuahua dog breed name, where the chihuahua breed descended from, and also describes various types of chihuahuas. It also talks about chihuahua dog training and puppy training, chihuahua shedding, and chihuahua coat colors.
15 things only chihuahua dog owners know!
Did you know that despite being a toy breed, chihuahuas are excellent competitors in canine sports, including agility and obedience? They are also great for apartment dwellers. The chihuahua is big on personality, it’s their adorable personality that makes them so lovable and popular! If you want to know more about this breed, make sure to watch until the end.
7 different types of chihuahuas and their characteristics!
symptoms and signs of a sick chihuahua: know when to see a veterinarian!
your chihuahua can not explain its symptoms, so it’s your responsibility to keep him or her healthy and to determine whether or not they need veterinary care. chihuahuas tend to want to hide their illness, so it is up to you to check your chihuahua for abnormalities.
not knowing if your chihuahua is feeling sick or how to care for your chihuahua when they are sick can be VERY stressful! this article will help you determine if your chihuahua is showing signs and symptoms of being ill and when you need to take them to see a veterinarian.
the book caring for chihuahuas made easy gives you preventative measures and solutions to common Chihuahua health problems. “if your chihuahua is sick or you want to know what to do to keep it from getting sick, then this is an absolute must-read book!”
“click here to download it today!”
be prepared: questions your veterinarian may ask
your veterinarian may ask additional questions to help localize or diagnose the problem. it may help to be prepared to answer some of the following questions:
- how long have you owned your chihuahua?
- where did you get your chihuahua (adoption center, breeder, previous stray)?
- what other type of pets do you have?
- what is the age of your chihuahua?
- has your chihuahua experienced any previous illnesses?
- is your chihuahua currently under treatment for an illness or disease?
- what preventative medications is your chihuahua currently taking?
- does your chihuahua receive consistent flea treatment?
- are any other pets ill?
- has he/she been vaccinated? if so, when? which vaccines?
- have there been any recent pet acquisitions?
- have there been any recent activities such as boarding, grooming, trip to the park?
- is a majority of your chihuahua’s time spent indoors or outdoors?
- have there been any recent changes in diet or eating habits?
- what brand of food, how much and how frequently does your chihuahua eat?
- what type of table scraps are offered and how frequently?
- what type of treats are offered and how frequently?
- how much water does your chihuahua typically drink per day?
- have there been any recent changes in water consumption?
- have you noticed any coughing or sneezing?
- have you noticed any lumps or bumps on your chihuahua?
- is your chihuahua urinating normally?
- Is your dog having normal bowel movements?
- when is the last time he/she had a bowel movement?
- have you noticed any recent weight loss or weight gain?
after answering some general questions, more specific questions need to be answered. a brief cursory exam of your chihuahua at home can help you determine the answers. these questions are also commonly asked when chihuahua owners are seeking help over the phone.
be prepared to answer the following questions, depending on the problem with your chihuahua:
regarding the eyes
- have you noticed an increase or decrease in tear production?
- do the eyes appear cloudy or red?
- have you noticed any discharge coming from the eyes?
- do the eyes appear bloodshot?
- are the pupils the same size in both eyes?
- have you noticed your chihuahua rubbing or pawing at the eyes?
- is your chihuahua squinting?
- do the eyes appear to be sunken or excessively protruding?
tracheal collapse in chihuahuas: a serious chihuahua respiratory health problem
many chihuahua owners email us with concerns related to their chihuahua puppies or dogs experiencing breathing problems, more specifically frequent gagging, coughing and chihuahua wheezing and seizures that result in gasping for air. this article may be helpful to you if your chihuahua has been affected by obstructed breathing or symptoms thereof.
chihuahuas are known to suffer from problems related to their soft palate or a collapsed trachea. it is a health concern that is characteristic of the chihuahua breed and is also commonly referred to as “reverse sneezing”.
tracheal collapse is a condition in which the trachea partially collapses or flattens out as your chihuahua is trying to breath. this leads irritation and results in the gagging, coughing and wheezing symptoms mentioned above.