actually, there are only two kinds of breeds of chihuahuas: short haired and long haired. terms like “teacups”, “deer heads”, “apple heads” or “toys” are not the officially recognized breeds in major canine organizations like the UKC or AKC.
everybody goes crazy over teacup chihuahuas ever since chihuahuas made numerous debuts on TV shows and movies. but why is it that everyone goes crazy over these small canines? the answer is very simple. no other dog can beat these teacup chihuahuas and their cute-factor. they are simply adorable and irresistible!
so, before you head to a pet store to get your very own teacup chihuahua, as a soon-to-be-owner of a teacup chihuahua, you got to know the pros and cons of getting one. small does not mean that it is going to be easier for you to manage. believe it or not, these teacups dogs can be pretty much a hassle to handle, compared to other majestic dogs.
1. it is definitely a good companion as it is very loving and loyal. they can get easily jealous though. so, just remember to start training them early. once they know a little bit about socializing, they will be more confident of the people around them.
2. size doesn’t matter. teacup chihuahuas make excellent watchdogs, as they are very alert. however, they might bark excessively, so you will definitely need to train them on how to remain quiet.
3. teacup chihuahuas are pretty easy to train. as the matter of fact, there is no need for you to send them to dog schools. this will spare you from spending hundreds on a dog trainer.
4. teacup chihuahuas are ideal apartment dogs too. other breeds of dogs are pretty big and not suitable for a apartments. teacup chihuahuas are small and they will fit in nicely in any apartment.
1. these adorable dogs are prone to have health problems. since it is small in size, it is morel likely to face more health problems like respiratory problems and dehydration.
2. teacup chihuahuas are also prone to injury. these creatures are small and fragile and kids often play rough with them. some might even step on them! so, if you have kids, then it is best not to consider adopting a chihuahua, or they might end up hurting it.
3. they are so adorable such that we tend to over-feed them. this can cause the chihuahua to be obese and obesity shortens their lives. they can also end up with other illnesses like diabetes.
4. these teacup chihuahuas are so small that they can’t even provide enough warmth for themselves. make sure that your chihuahua has its sweater on during winter to give it extra protection and warmth.
basically, these teacup chihuahuas are very fragile animals. it is so fragile such that it requires your attention 24/7. there is no way you are able to keep it out of your sight.
it has cuteness that you can die for, but if you think that you are not up to the challenge of taking care of this “demanding” pet, then it is best that you go for a different breed instead.