winter can be rough on your chihuahua’s sensitive paw pads. it’s a good idea to prevent winter weather-related paw pad injuries by following some basic dog paw care tips and by using products like dog bootie pet paw socks designed for paw protection.
tips to prevent paw pad injuries
- when possible, walk your chihuahua on grass or snow to avoid salty sidewalks. contact with deicers can lead to chemical burns.
- wipe your chihuahua’s paws when they come in from the cold to prevent them from ingesting salty deicers.
- trim inner-pad hair from long-haired chihuahuas short during the winter months to prevent ice balls that retain deicing salts from forming.
- take your chihuahua for more frequent short walks to prevent hypothermia or frostbite.
- feed your chihuahua essential fatty acids to prevent their skin from cracking or drying out, …and finally,
- protect your chihuahua’s paws by having them wear dog bootie paw socks!
the precious little chihuahua paws you see in our first image belong to our sweet little lilly, winner of the 2010 famous chihuahua christmas photo contest!